RSS Feed

A Quest to Find the “Full House” House in San Francisco

June 28, 2012 by Amanda

Broderick

I’m an ’80s kid.

Which means I grew up watching “Full House,” a popular family sitcom that aired on primetime TV from 1987 to 1995. That’s 8 seasons of life lessons from Danny Tanner and his girls D.J., Stephanie, and Michelle. That’s 8 seasons of the antics of Uncle Jesse and Uncle Joey. And that’s 8 seasons of good family television that my generation will probably remember forever.

So when I went to San Francisco last month (where “Full House” was set), I made it my mission to find the “Full House” house.

This is a bit of a challenge, of course, and can be a let-down if you’re not prepared.

Before you go looking for a piece of your childhood in San Francisco, know that the popular TV show was actually filmed in a studio in Los Angeles. Only a handful of episodes of “Full House” were ever shot in San Francisco.

But the opening sequence (with its “Everywhere You Look” theme) WAS filmed in San Francisco, and it’s based on this that I began my adventure.

The opening sequence for most of the seasons of “Full House” ended with the family picnicking in Alamo Square Park, with the picture-perfect row of Painted Ladies in the background. This park and its famous row of colorful Victorian houses can be found in San Francisco’s Western Addition neighborhood.

Alamo Square

But the red-doored Victorian house that the beginning of each episode honed in on, insinuating that it belonged to the Tanners?

Full House Screenshot

Screen capture from season 2 "Full House" opening

NOT IN ALAMO SQUARE.

Most people think that the “Full House” house is one of the 7 Painted Ladies.

Painted Ladies

But the house that was actually used for exterior shots in the opening sequence is located over a dozen blocks away, at 1709 Broderick Street.

Of course I went and found it!

Full House

Full House

The house has since been repainted (and someone suggested the “Full House” red door actually was moved from a house a block away), but it’s still recognizable.

Mission accomplished, as far as I’m concerned.

(And, for anyone wanting to follow this path, there are MUNI buses that run frequently to Alamo Square Park, and then you can hop on the 24 bus from there up to the corner of Divisadero and Bush, and walk the block and a half to the house on Broderick.)

——

Would YOU track down this house if you were in San Francisco?

15 comments »

1. Joseph says:

As I’m heading to San Fran, I will definitely check out Alamo Square Park….not sure about the house, even though I used to watch the TV show. However, as I am a huge fan of the TV series Charmed, guess what I’ll be doing in LA, more specifically in Echo Park 😉 – and of course write a post about it 😀

• Amanda says:

Alamo Square is definitely worth a visit, even if you aren’t a huge “Full House” fan. Just be sure to go in the afternoon, so the sun hits the Painted Ladies nicely!

2. I used to love this show as a kid! I was 2 years old at 87, yet we had tons of reruns of them in my country throughout the 90s, and the episodes ran daily. How fun that you went and found the actual house!

• Amanda says:

I was only born in ’86, but the show ran through the ’90s, and I remember watching it on Friday nights with my family when I was young! And then of course there are the reruns, which are still on today in the U.S.!

3. Ayngelina says:

Oh I would totally track down this house. I am the same age as DJ and my sister is the same age as Stephanie, we LOVED that show.

4. Ali says:

I was in San Francisco a few years ago with a friend, and we totally thought seeing the Painted Ladies was it! So bummed now that I know the house they used wasn’t one of them. I guess if I ever go back, I’ll have to follow your directions!

• Amanda says:

A common misconception! I, too, thought “the” house was one of the Painted Ladies, until I started doing a bit more digging!

5. Alouise says:

Full House was one of my favourite shows as a kid. I’d definitely try to find this house if I were in San Francisco, so thanks for the information. Very cool.

6. […] Alcatraz, biking the Golden Gate Bridge, and even going on an Urban Adventure. I also tracked down the Full House house, rode a cable car, photographed Chinatown, and much, much more. It was a jam-packed week, to say […]

7. Helena says:

I’m definitely tracking down the house next year when I’ll be in the states :) Your post will definitely help me find it 😀

• Amanda says:

As long as you have a GPS, you should be fine! The hardest part was finding the address!

• Stefanie says:

Just got back from San Fran, and after finding the house we realized that they just changed the siding color as well! :/ it is no longer white! It is a dark purple! Maybe they got tired of tourists taking pics in front of it, idk, but I was a bit disappointed. Nonetheless, I got to see it! And my tween daughters that love all the reruns!