RSS Feed

Film Friday: Santorini, Greece (Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants)

June 1, 2012 by Amanda

Film Friday

Today’s Film Friday post was submitted by Ali Garland. Ali is an American expat living in Germany. Her travel addiction led her to visit all 7 continents before her 30th birthday. She recently returned from a round the world trip and is now fumbling her way through life in Germany. She is currently searching for the perfect salsa recipe. Ali writes at Ali’s Adventures, and you can follow her on Twitter, @aliadventures7, and Facebook.

Each Friday, I’ll be briefly profiling a specific location somewhere in the world that has been featured in a movie or TV show.

This week, the site is Santorini, Greece.

Photo submitted by Ali Garland

Santorini doesn’t exactly need help getting people to visit. It’s one of the most popular islands in Greece, and tourists flock there for the breathtaking sunsets. It also happens to be where parts of Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 1 and 2 were filmed.

These movies are about four girls who, despite being different sizes, share a pair of pants in order to keep in touch while they’re apart for the summer. The movies are kind of cheesy and definitely aimed at teenagers, but I loved them anyway. The theme of friendship and a touch of travel were enough to pull me in.

In the first movie one of the girls, Lena, goes to Santorini for the summer to visit her grandparents and ends up falling in love with a guy who lives there. In the second movie, all four girls go to Santorini because the pants went missing on the island.

Screen capture from Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

The scenes here are probably my favorite parts of the movie because of the gorgeous location. As Lena is exploring the island, you can see the volcano in the background and the typical Santorini blue roofs. In the movies, they show the girls riding donkeys up the path from the port in Oia. When I was on the volcano tour that ended in Oia, I decided not to ride a donkey, but I did walk up the steep path.

Photo submitted by Ali Garland

Photo submitted by Ali Garland

The movies were both filmed on location, a fact locals pointed out to me several times while I was there. They were very proud of their connection to Hollywood. The scenes in Turkey from the second movie were actually filmed in Santorini as well, but it was a remote area specifically set up to look like Turkey.

Screen capture from Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

Though I did want to go to Greece before seeing the first film, the first Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants is what prompted me to plan my first solo trip to Santorini. The white-washed buildings clinging to the cliffs, the sun setting over the ocean, it’s enough to make anyone want to get on the first plane to Greece.

Photo submitted by Ali Garland

Have you visited a film-related site that you’d like to write about? Let me know!

24 comments »

1. Ali says:

Thanks for letting me guest post, it was fun! Of course, now I really want to go back to Santorini!

• Amanda says:

Your pictures have me dreaming of Greece, Ali! I’ll be going there briefly this summer, but not to Santorini or any of the other islands. Next time!

2. […] out the guest post I did for Film & Travel: Film Friday: Santorini, Greece (Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants) If you enjoyed this post, please consider liking the Facebook page or subscribing to Ali's […]

3. I’d like to see this film but even more I’d love to check out Santorini :)

4. Greece is so close to where I live and deals are relatively cheap, which probably makes it close to a crime that I haven’t visited there yet, but I loved the post anyway given that I wrote a college paper about the friendships in these movies…. Plus, the sunset photo is gorgeous!

5. Mrs.O says:

Santorini is truly one of the worlds greatest destinations. The locals say it’s where Atlantis used to be. I think that any film shot there would get a huge boost from the outstanding scenery :)

6. Mary says:

I LOVE LOVE Greece! I went to Greece a few years ago when I was in High School on a summer trip and I totally fell in love! Santorini was gorgeous; I loved all of the little shops and the amazing views everywhere. I will definitely be going back.

7. Adelina says:

This is my dream vacation starting to save for it now
    I will definitely visit even if I have to go solo.

8. […] better to reference, but the comparison is too perfect. But in one of the movies, Lena is in Greece (If you know what I’m talking about you should have visions of buildings on a hill and Lena […]

9. Kelly says:

Hello! I am currently planning a trip to Greece with my husband! It will be a long journey – coming from Columbus, Ohio! But the Sisterhood movie made me want to go! I really would love to ride a donkey up stairs – is this possible? I saw that you chose not to, but that means it was an option!!!! How do I get this option?!?!

• Amanda says:

You can ride donkeys on nearly every island, but if you want to do it in Santorini, just head down to the port at Fira or Oia and look for the donkeys! They aren’t hard to find – nor are the incredibly steep donkey trails.

10. Kelly says:

Any recommendations on where to stay in Santorini?

• Amanda says:

I stayed at a small family-run hotel in the town of Fira on Santorini. There are TONS of hotels, guesthouses, etc. on the island – plenty to choose from!

11. Jackie says:

Our family is going to Santorini this summer and my daughter and I are so excited to see where they filmed parts of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Did anybody happen to tell you where any of the filming locations were?

• Amanda says:

I unfortunately don’t know much about exact locations. But she will certainly recognize it from the movie!

12. Beth Anne says:

I’m about to go to Greece and ever since seeing this movie I have always wanted to go! I can’t wait to see it all! Are you still doing this column because I plan on finding Harry Potter sites when I go to London and would write it up for you :)

13. Jacqui says:

Hi
    We are staying in oia right now
    We went to the small fishing village called
    Ammoudi which is a 5 min drive
    Beautiful food and fantastic scenery and this is where they filmed sisterhood of the traveling pants scenes
    Worth going too